Child Support

Whether a marriage that involves children is breaking up, or an unmarried father is involved in child custody or child support actions, a knowledgeable lawyer can smooth the way. The Law Offices of Van A. Schwab guides both mothers and fathers through the legal processes of determining, enforcing and modifying child support.

Chicago child support attorney, Van A. Schwab offers parents who are unmarried, separated or divorced the benefits of years of experience, together with up-to-date training. To schedule a consultation, contact our law firm by calling 312-702-1745 (in Chicago) or 847-208-4569 (in Skokie, Deerfield or Libertyville). We represent clients in Skokie, the North Side of Chicago, and Libertyville.

Child Support Attorneys In Libertyville And Skokie, Illinois

Formulas enacted by the Illinois State Legislature largely spell out the amount of child support that each parent is expected to be responsible for when the mother and father are not married. Attorney Schwab can help identify and properly calculate both parents' incomes and fight for fair child support awards on behalf of his client. Child support issues may include payment of health and dental insurance, day care expenses, orthodontia, and private school tuition, among others.

It is important to note that extraordinary costs (summer camp, braces, tutoring, therapy, etc.) are not taken into account by state guidelines. These expenses may be assigned or divided through mediation, collaborative law, settlement negotiations or litigation.

Did You Know? If your former spouse or parent of your child fails to pay child support, we can help you pursue an enforcement action. The Family Court is empowered to take serious measures to collect child support, including wage garnishment.

Who Pays For College After A Divorce?

Under Illinois law, a Family Court judge can award educational expenses to the children of divorced parents to cover the costs of college or other professional training. Covered educational expenses may include college tuition, room and board, and books. The state of Illinois has not established any firm guidelines regarding the payment of these educational expenses. This means the amount awarded is ultimately left to the discretion of the Family Court judge.

Contact Us

Regardless of the method used to create or modify child support orders, Illinois child support attorney Van A. Schwab is prepared to protect parents' rights to pay or receive proper amounts of child support. Contact our law firm by phone at 312-702-1745.